With the colder weather coming on, we all need a hot bowl of comfort for dinner. If you don’t have a high tolerance for chilli, use a long red chilli in place of the Birdseye chilli. Make sure you freeze a portion for later!
Makes 4 serves
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 brown onion, roughly chopped
- 1 birds eye chilli, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp brown mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 2 tsp salt
- 250ml water
- 270ml can light coconut milk
- Juice of 1 lemon
Crunchy Sweet Potato Pieces
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 200g sweet potato, peeled, diced into 1cm pieces
- 1 teaspoon pink rock salt
- In a 2 litre pot, heat the oil over a medium heat and saute the garlic, onion, chilli and brown mustard seeds until golden brown.
- Add the coriander, cumin, turmeric and ginger and allow to saute for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the vegetable stock, salt, water and sweet potato and allow to simmer over a low heat for 30 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and simmer for a further 1 minute and blend until smooth, using a stick mixer.
- Using a frypan, heat the canola oil over a medium heat and then fry the sweet potato pieces until golden brown and cooked through. Allow to drain on paper towel and sprinkle with salt.
- Serve soup in bowls or glasses and sprinkle with sweet potato pieces. Squeeze fresh lemon juice over the soup bowls just before serving.